Friday, May 29, 2009

Feeling Expensive

So today I woke up around 7 am and laid in bed in and out of sleep until 9--my favorite. I love waking up to my own body and the sun and not an abnoxious alarm. We then all mosied on down for the breakfast buffet. So good. We all ate way too much. The hot chocolate reminded me of the kind we used to treat ourselves to once a transfer in Spain. Super rich and delicious.

After breakfast, we went to the Casa de Cultura--a museum Allie had found online. We asked the concierge if it would be possible to find a taxi for 6 people, and told us about the bus that was just around the corner and went straight there. Feeling adventurous, we agreed. The bus was fun. We held our bags close to us the whole time and giggled the whole way there just loving the spontaneity of this whole last day excursion.



The museum was way cool. They had art and artifacts dating back from approx. 12,000 BC until the present time. I was amazed at how well preserved most of the pieces were. It was incredible. My favorite piece of the whole museum was a painting on wood of Christ and His mother, Mary. It was just so intimate. It only really showed their faces, but you could tell that He was lying in her arms after being crucified. The thing I loved was all of the emotion that was in the painting without Christ looking so weak and helpless or Mary looking hopeless. It was stunning. Of course the artist was unknown and they didn't have a print of it or anything down in the gift shop, so I will tell you about so that I won't forget the beauty of it.

I loved the museum. We haven't done a lot of artsy things on this trip, and so it was great. I was missing my Erin though. I know it would have been even better had you been there to explain how fantastic everything there was and the symbolism to me.

After the museum, we came home but were still too full to eat so we lounged around until about 2 o'clock and then headed down for another delicious free meal. Lunch did not disappoint either. It was probably one of the most delicious meals I have had on this trip. What am I saying? It DEFINITELY was the most delicious meal I have had on this trip. They served us ceviche as an appetizer. It is a shrimp/salsa thing that Ecuador is famous for. Neither Allie or I like shrimp that much, but didn't want to pass up the free opportunity to try it, so we shared a bowl. I tried it. It actually wasn't even that bad. The salsa is good, and I could barely taste the shrimp. Maybe someday I won't be such a new-food-pansy. There was a dessert bar and I chose a chocolate cake thing with whip cream and raspberry sauce. Most of the desserts down here have always looked a lot better than they have actually tasted, but that was not the case with this one. Chocolate goodness.

Now, it is 3:30 and we are heading up to the pool they have here and will swim in the pool, sit in the hot tub, enjoy the sauna and steam room and just relax. This is good for me. ;) Our only plans for the rest of the evening are to shower, pack, eat dinner, and take some sweet pics of our new place before we take off for the airport at 8. This is the best act of service I have ever performed. Thank you Delta Airlines.

Megan summed today up best when she said, "I just feel so expensive right now." Sad part is, we definitely do not look expensive, especially because none of us have ANY clean or nice clothes left. So we will try not to embarrass the hotel too much.

3 comments:

jenniferthornton said...

Glad you had time to enjoy a few things before you rushed out of there again. Also happy you had some friends to be posh with. Nice to be posh on someone else's money.

Erin said...

I'm so glad you got to have this expensive time! It sounds so fun!

And I wish I could be there to look at art too.

But actually, I'm in Chicago feeling expensive. Because when you travel with your dad who gets a hotel paid for by his company, it is awesome. Because you stay in a way nicer hotel that way. We'll be home tomorrow too, I will see you soon!

Kylie said...

Looks like you had an amazing time in Ecuador! What a neat experience.