Saturday, May 16, 2009

Delfines y Las Playas

So I realize that I have not blogged about the last 5 days yet, but have no fear it will be coming soon. I am also super tired tonight, but I promised myself that I would work on my blog today and so here goes.
This morning we left our hotel at 7:30 am for the BEACH!!!!!! Yay! It came a little early since we didn't get back from the Stake YSA dance until about 11:45 (that is LATE for us here, as we typically have to be in the hotel no later than 8), and on top of that, Allie and I stayed awake talking until 1 am. Really smart. (I am realizing now that I still got as much sleep if not more than I usually do at home, so I don't know why I am whining. The heat must just take it out of me I guess. Tired katie.) Moving on. . .
So in addition to many other valuable things, the week I was at the maternity hospital, Sotomayor, I made friends with one of the medical residents and she invited me to go to this beach, Las Playas, with her where she said you can swim with the dolphins and there is a really pretty beach that is not as touristy. Well, she invited me to go with her on a Sunday, so that didn't really pan out, but I had her write down the name of the beach and that is where we went today.
As it turns out, you don't actually get to "swim" with the dolphins, or at least not where we saw them, but it was still cool, and we had several of them come up really close to our boat. (Sidenote, another thing I LOVE about Ecuador: 2-hour boat ride for 15 people = $30.) Fun. It did cause me to make an addition to the things I want to do before I die though, and that is to swim with the dolphins. I remember when I was a little girl thinking that I wanted to be a marine biologist, but I realized later that it was only because I thought it meant I would be able to chill with the dolphins and play with them like the Sea World peeps. So new goal=dolphin swim.
After the dolpin WATCH we went and had lunch at this little cafe thing on this private beach. I think we mostly did it so we would have access to the private beach, but whatever. The food was good and the price even better because it was free because the Junta paid for it all again. I feel a little bad about it because I don't know what we are even actually doing to help the Junta. I feel like we actually help the other organization, Hogar de Cristo, more but the Junta is the one who pays for everything (our transport, random beach trips and fun lunches, etc.). Oh well.

This beach was tons of fun. Salinas, from last week was fun, but the water was warmer at this beach and even better, it had WAVES! I loved it! Major body surfing was accomplished. Boogie boards were in sight, but renting wasn't really an option and none of us shmoozed (sp?) enough to get one of the natives to let us borrow one. But the waves were big enough to body surf so it was tons of fun!
Since we didn't have a health fair to run back to tonight we also had enough time to just relax and fall asleep on the sand for a while. Also fun. So that was my day. A beautiful and fun-filled day at the beach. How was yours?

No comments: