Monday, May 9, 2011

Gibbs Farm

After finishing our tour of Manyara Park we went to our “camp” at Gibbs farm. And I know that the boys used to always make fun of us going to girls “camp” when we had cabins (said “cabins” though did not have any electricity, nor toilets inside nor were really even that great at keeping the bugs out or the heat in, but they were a roof over our heads that is true). Anyway, the point is: if people thought that Camp Mia Shalom wasn’t much of a “camp,” they definitely would have denied Gibbs farm any sort of “camp” status.

Upon arriving, we were greeted with moist warm towels and a glass of freshly squeezed papaya juice (not exactly MY favorite fruit (actually probably one of my least) but the idea was great) and then our bags were taken up to our cabins for us while we walked hands-free behind. The “camp” is set on the grounds of an 80-year-old working African coffee, fruit and vegetable farm. They also have a working dairy on the farm (although somehow it didn’t smell like the ones I’ve experienced in Idaho). Anyway, I could blab on and on about it, but I’ll just say that after washing up and settling into our cabins (Mom and Dad in one and the boys and I in another one (with our own bedrooms)) we enjoyed a lovely 5-course dinner of food picked fresh from the farm before turning in for the night. And we actually were the only ones staying at the camp that night and so our wish was their command.


Leaving Manyara for Gibbs Farm

A local soccer game we passed on the way

BEAUTIFUL Gibbs Farm

Mom and Dad's castle


Hanging around in the gardens

At a fancy-pants dinner

Mosquito netted bed

C.J. checking out what's for breakfast.
Homemade croissants--that's what I wanted!! And fresh PINEAPPLE!!

C.J. and I at the breakfast table
After breakfast, and before we left for another day of safari with Hezron, we got the opportunity to milk the cows they have there on the farm. And I will let you be the judge of who did it the best. (Just look for who actually has milk coming out and into the pail.)



The view from our house
Just gorgeous. I think I may want to move in here permanently.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Um, Gibbs Farm is my DREAM farm. I have to say, I don't imagine an African safari being quite that luxurious. That is SO incredible!